Monday, September 10, 2012

Where is it all Going?

(I am including numbers here purely for mathematically reasons. Please do not comment about how much or little I make, or make any rude commentary about what my spending habits are. This blog is to help me, and hopefully inspire someone else to make the change as well to better themselves.)

Alright. So I went to my handy dandy Excel and got myself to work.


First I broke everything up into two categories: requirement and debt.

  • Requirements: rent, water, electricity, car insurance, internet (taking classes online), phones, groceries and gas.
  • Debt: credit cards (excluding student loans since I'm still in college.)


Our monthly requirements rounded up to about $1500 a month...which based off my math you can BARELY do with a minimum wage job at $8 dollars an hour, full time. I don't have a problem with this math, it makes sense...and this is including a faster speed internet (for gaming and school pleasure) and phone with data connections. I can live with this information

Then I started calculating our...erm...my debts. I calculated total debt (excluding student loans), and minimum monthly payments. Our minimum payments came out to a total of $550 a month!

Alright, so that's totaling up now to a minimum forking out of $2050 a month, and like I said on the previous blog we make more than the median amount...so let's assume we calculate based of the $45k a year,  or $3750 a month, that still leaves $1700 dollars a month unaccounted for. I'll subtract $200 from that because I have a 401k and health insurance (lots of pre-existing conditions), so that's $1500 a month that just...disappears.  

Now, logic tells me that it doesn't just disappear. I know that it doesn't. Where does it go? It goes to eating out because we're too lazy too cook. It goes to the hundreds of thousands of dollars I've put towards crafting projects that I get bored of a quarter of the way in and never finish, it goes to $50 - $60 video games that my husband beats in a week, or that I get bored of after a few times playing, it goes to  the violin I bought my husband for his birthday that he doesn't play, or the brand new tablet that I just had to buy because there was a sale. Need I go on? 

I know what the problem IS. I just need to actually do something about it to fix it. The first step is to pay off that debt, and start a savings fund.

Now...off to plan that one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment